Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Crunchy Caramel Corn

Perhaps in anticipation of the midnight showing of "The Dark Knight" this Thursday (yes, I've had my ticket for weeks), I whipped up a batch of crunchy caramel popcorn. The recipe is from an issue of Martha Stewart's "Everyday Food" magazine, to which I subscribe.

I've made this recipe twice within the past month. This time around, I undercooked the popcorn--something like 25 minutes instead of the recommended 40--as a matter of personal preference. Also, on both occasions that I made this, I neither tossed the popcorn while it cooked nor transferred the cooked popcorn to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.

CRUNCHY CARAMEL CORN

serves 6

4 tbs butter, plus more for baking sheet
10 cups plain usalted popped popcorn (from 1/2 c kernels or a 3.3 oz bag of microwave popcorn
1 c cashews, coarsely chopped (optional)
1/2 c packed light brown sugar
Coarse salt

Butter a large rimmed baking sheet; set aside. Place popcorn in a large bowl; if using cashews, add to bowl and toss to combine. Set aside.In a small saucepan, bring butter, sugar, 1/8 tsp salt, and 2 tbs water to a boil, stirring constantly.Working quickly, drizzle popcorn with sugar syrup, and toss. Spread popcorn evenly on prepared baking sheet.Bake, tossing occasionally, until golden and shiny, about 40 minutes.Transfer hot popcorn to parchment-paper-lined baking sheet; let cool. Store in an airtight container up to 1 week.

No comments: