Friday, October 3, 2008

Fresh Applesauce

We'll be having a roasted pork loin and a garlic and spinach saute for dinner tomorrow, so I made applesauce today in preparation. Again, this recipe comes from "The Healthy Kitchen." According to Dr. Andrew Weil and Rosie Daley, "You can use any type of apple you'd like, and because apples are pretty much available year-round, you can serve it as a warm side dish in the winter, or a cold side dish, or dessert, any time of year."

I adjusted the recipe to my taste. Additionally, you could add lemon juice, granulated sugar, and/or brown sugar according to your palate.

FRESH APPLESAUCE

serves 6

6 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced, about 6 cups (I used 8 Cortland apples)
1/2 c apple juice (I used 3/4 c apple cider)
1 tsp ground cinnamon (I used 1 tbs ground cinnamon)

Put the apple slices and the apple juice in a saucepan with a lid. Cook, covered, over low heat, until the apples are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 10-20 minutes, depending on the type of apple you are using. Break up the apples using a fork or pour the mixture into a blender and blend until smooth. Sprinkle in the cinnamon and stir until it is thoroughly integrated into the apples. Let the apples cool for a few minutes or longer, depending on whether you want to serve them warm or cold.

No comments: